The strengthening, balancing, health-boosting effects of this particular style of Yoga practice come from 5 Points of Yoga identified by Swami Vishnudevananda. All these points are covered in my classes.
1. proper breathing – the way we breathe deeply affects our energy levels, our nervous systems, digestive function, metabolism. You will learn to consciously direct the breath to enhance all these functions.
2. proper movement – breath-coordinated movement, with somatic awareness, and instruction in personal structural alignment
3. deep relaxation – to deeply relax the muscles of the body and the brain and mind, to allow us to rest at ease within ourselves and to allow our energy to flow more freely
4. positive thinking and enhanced body-mind awareness – the practices are approached with much focus on awareness of body, breath, mind. After some time, this awareness starts to spill over into life generally, bringing countless benefits to our physical and mental-emotional health. A by-product of the practices is also a greater sense of well-being and positivity.
5. proper diet – particularly in the beginners yoga courses you will receive guidance on how diet affects pain levels in the body, flexibility of the muscles and connective tissue, and also how it affects your nervous system, mind and mood.
The results after even a month or so of practicing this classical Hatha Yoga and living according to these 5 Points of Yoga are:
- Enhanced strength and flexibility
- Reduction of aches and pains in the body
- Tools at your fingertips to reduce stress levels and give you greater coping mechanisms for stressful times
- Support for the nervous system, immune, digestive, endocrine and metabolic balance.
- Improved mood and sense of well-being.