YOGA & AYUVEDA SPRING DETOX RETREAT
“Ayurveda is a consciousness based approach to health, a spiritual medicine, recognising the phenomenal intelligence in every grain, every seed, all of life and every living thing.”
This retreat will take place in the beautiful Rill Estate in Devon. The estate sits within 80 acres of land, and looks over a valley of the River Dart. Part of the land is farmed by the wonderful Riverford Organics. The rest of the land is given over to woodland and wildlife preservation.
On this retreat we will be focusing on Yoga and Ayurveda practices which detoxify our organs, cleaning the colon and in particular the liver of toxins, easily stored during a winter diet heavier in fats. Ayurveda invites us to eat seasonally. This makes it appropriate to eat more fats in the winter (most of us overdo this during the holiday period!) so that the extra weight can keep us warmer and the oils can nourish the Vata (air-ether elements) aggravated by the cold weather . This extra weight can also lead to a build up of toxins -“ama”. Animals start to lose the extra weight and slim down in winter, and if we live in harmony with the seasons we will feel nature inviting us to do the same.
Spring is a time of renewal and rejuvenation and so cleansing is a natural support for the body at this time of year, clearing away heaviness to allow our energies to be boosted for the more active summer months. This prevents the build up of toxins which get stored in the cells and circulatory channels over the winter, from slowing everything down including our digestion, and organs of elimination. Cleansing in springtime will also support our immunity.
“When diet is wrong, medicine is of no use. When diet is correct, medicine is of no need.” Ayurvedic proverb.
Over the three days of the retreat, our bodies and spirits will be enjoying:
- A typical Ayurvedic-Yogic vegetarian cleansing diet, which not only reduces ama (toxins) but also builds ojas (immunity and strength – physical and spiritual).
- Digestive enzymes and herbs to support the detoxification process.
- Hatha Yoga Kriyas (cleansing practices) and Pranayamas (energy-boosting breathing practices).
- Hatha Yoga, Ayurvedic Yoga and Restorative Yoga classes
- Meditation and Kirtan (Devotional Chanting) to build prana and nourish the heart.
- The gentle healing embrace of Mother Nature in Spring.
There’ll be guidance on preparing for the cleanse in the week preceding the retreat, and on transitioning off the cleanse on your return home.
Please email me if you would like to join.